Study in Buffalo, NY
Dent Neurological Institute and Roswell Park Cancer Institute has entered into an agreement with the four Hungarian medical universities that teach medicine to provide 12 week credit-bearing senior electives to medical students who are in their 6th year of education (apply for the program during 5th year)
The rotations begin four times a year, approximately in July, September, and December of next year and March of the year following the next. The exact dates will be determined by HMAA at the beginning of 2020 (shortly after interview). Total 16 students can participate (4 students per 12 week period).
The purpose of the program is to facilitate the exchange of students as well as experience and knowledge between the involved medical universities. With this program the HMAA contributes and provides broad medical knowledge to young Hungarian physicians who are entering the Hungarian health care system.
This program is sponsored and managed by the HUNGARIAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA, HMAA (www.hmaa.org).
Students may take the following electives:
- Internal Medicine
- Headache Medicine
- Surgical Oncology
- Medical Oncology
- Pediatrics-Child Neurology
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Surgery (GI-Colorectal, GI-Soft Tissue Melanoma, Upper GI-HPB, Endocrine (Thyroid), Thoracic-Lung)
- Radiation Oncology
- Dermatologic Oncology
* Please note that these electives are subject to availability at the time of the rotation.
Students are expected to cover:
- Round trip air transportation
- Health insurance
- Medical liability/Malpractice insurance (coordinated by HMAA) is appr. 300-400 USD for 3 months
- Meal costs (some Buffalo departments provide meal tickets for use in the hospital)
- Students accepted for the program will contribute to their housing in the amount of 300 USD per month (900 USD total)
- Pallas Athéné Innovációs és Geopolitikai Alapítvány (PAIGEO): estimated 2,050 USD support (per person for 3 months based on the 2019-2020 academic year stipend) for all the Hungarian* students who participate in the Buffalo Exchange Program (no need for additional application).
- Campus Mundi
* for all the Hungarian students who participate in the Buffalo Exchange Program and are from the Hungarian Language Program
Who can apply?
The program is open to students of all four Hungarian medical universities. Medical students who are in their 5th year of education at the beginning of September 2019 or those who are in their 6th year of education at the beginning of September 2019 and plan to do their 6th year in two units, so that the second unit would start from September 2020. Medical students with Hungarian heritage may apply from both the Hungarian and English language programs. Only HMAA Hungary Chapter members can apply for the exchange program (membership is free for medical students, for further information and application visit the Hungary Chapter page).
Students must apply only one location from the HMAA Exchange Programs! It is not possible to apply for more (Buffalo, Houston)!
Applications must be emailed by December 10, 2019 by midnight (CET). Applications emailed later than this date will not be accepted. Only online applications will be accepted.
Requirements (all documents scanned or digital to be submitted as email attachments):
- Completed Application Form
- Letter of recommendation from the Dean (in English) – scanned original
- Hungarian and/or English credit transcript from year 1 onwards – scanned original
- Statement of the medical student status – scanned original
- Curriculum vitae (in English) – scanned original signed
- Letter of motivation/intent (in English) – scanned original signed
- Passport size photo – scanned original
The application must be complete, otherwise it will be automatically rejected.
The personal interview will take place on the February 10-11, 2020 in Budapest.
All students must submit a written EXIT INTERVIEW to the Department of International Relations of Semmelweis University, to the HMAA and to the HMAA Hungary Chapter after the end of the exchange program. All students are encouraged to attend the Balatonfüred congress of the HMAA Hungary Chapter in August, 2020 and 2021.
Please follow the information on the HMAA website (www.hmaa.org) which is continually being updated!
How to submit your applcation
One copy to be emailed to:Amanda McFayden@: firstname.lastname@example.org
One copy to be emailed to:Semmelweis University
Directorate of International Relations
Üllői u. 26.P: +36 (1) 317-9079
F: +36 (1) 459-1559
One copy to be emailed to:HMAA Hungary Chapter@: email@example.com
Dr. László Mechtler, FAAN, FASN
Director HMAA Student Exchange Program/USA
Dr. Irene Krisztinicz
Co-Director HMAA Student Exchange Program/USA
Dr. Zsolt Garami
Co-Director HMAA Student Exchange Program/USA
Dr. Marcel Pop
+36 (1) 317-9079
+36 (1) 459-1559
AddressSemmelweis University Directorate of International Relations
Üllői u. 26.
Prof. Dr. László Mátyus
+36 52 411-600 / 65843
AddressUniversity of Debrecen, Medical School Dean's Office
Egyetem tér 1.
Prof. Dr. András Büki
+36 (72) 535-900 / 35930
AddressUniversity of Pécs, Medical School Department of Neurosurgery
Rét u. 2.
Prof. Dr. István Leprán
+36 (20) 373-1203
AddressUniversity of Szeged, Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapy
Dóm tér 12.